Over recent years, Happy Hacking Keyboards have made quite an impact in the keyboarding industry and have made a lot of keyboard enthusiasts their devoted followers.
So much so that many people are now asking the question, what’s the difference between the HHKB Type-S and the Classic Version, and which one is a better keyboard? Well, if you’re also curious about that, then you’re in the right place because that’s what I’m here to tell you.
In this article, I’m going to talk about the features and specs of the type-S and the professional classic or the regular HHKB keyboard and compare the pros and cons of these boards so we can find the one true victor out of them.
So, without wasting any further time, let’s get into this comparison.
|Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional Type-S||Check Price|
|Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2||Check Price|
HHKB Professional Type-S Keyboard
The HHKB Professional Type-S Keyboard is a high-quality 60% keyboard that is the successor of the HHKB Professional 2. This keyboard comes with silent keys and Bluetooth additions along with many unique options and features.
The price of this keyboard is pretty high, but it offers a lot of value and premium usage for that price as well. Many people love this keyboard, and you should try it for yourself as well, that is, if you can afford it.
To understand the essence of what the HHKB Professional Type-S has to offer in terms of usability, we need to look at the specs and features it comes with. So first, let’s take a look at some of the significant features that this keyboard boasts of having.
- Topre Electrostatic Switches – First of all, we’ve got high-quality rubber dome electrostatic no-contact Topre keyboard switches in this keyboard that provide decent tactility with a soft keypress which is the best of both worlds.
- Bluetooth Connectivity – The HHKB Professional Type-S is a keyboard that offers wireless connectivity with the help of Bluetooth technology using two AA batteries which can be installed on the top side of the keyboard. This kind of connectivity is faster than you’d imagine in the type-s keyboard.
- USB Cable Connectivity – If you’re not a fan of Bluetooth connectivity, don’t worry because HHKB type-s has got you covered. It also offers USB cable connectivity. Out of the box, you won’t get any USB cable, but you can connect your custom USB cable, which gives you the option of choosing a higher-quality wire for your keyboard that matches your theme as well.
- Silent Keypress – The Type-S keyboard comes with O-rings installed in them, making the keypress much more silent than other keyboards with the Topre switches in them. Another great thing is that it reduces the keypress pre-travel by a significant margin.
- HHKB Keymap Tool – One of the best things about the HHKB Professional Type-S is that it features the capability to remap the keys on it. Using the high-quality and easy interfaced HHKB Keymap tool, you can rearrange all the keys according to your choice and the kind of projects, work, or games for which you’re using the keyboard.
- Dip Switches – If you’re not a fan of changing the mapping of the keys or you’re not familiar with it. You can choose to change a few things around on the keyboard using the dip switches provided on the back of the Type-s. There are six dip switches, and they all perform different functions that can be found in the instructional manual.
HHKB Professional Classic Keyboard
The HHKB Professional Classic Keyboard comes with 60 keys since it is the original standard professional keyboard by HHKB in their 60% keyboard layout. This keyboard is a premium-component keyboard with a bunch of functions and specs that you’ll love.
It has a high price range and comes with a unique design, but it is loved by many keyboard enthusiasts around the world. It is a great keyboard even though it comes at a high price, so you should indeed check it out for yourself.
The HHKB Professional Classic is a fan-favorite because of its look, design, and premium build. Let’s look at some of the best features it has to make sure this comparison is fair and square by all means.
- Topre Switches – The HHKB Professional Classic is also fixed with top-of-the-line Topre electrostatic key switches that offer good tactility in rubber dome form with a keypress actuation force requirement of around only 40g. This key switch is excellent for all kinds of usage, whether you’re gaming, typing, or programming.
- PBT Keycaps – The keycaps in this keyboard are very high in terms of quality as well. They’re made of high-quality PBT plastic, which is excellent for keycaps. The texture of the surface is fantastic as well. The keycaps are also pretty durable, which is another epic thing about this particular keyboard.
- Dip Switches – There are six dip switches available on this keyboard as well. The dip switches change the keyboard’s layout somewhat, which can be pretty helpful if you’re using the keyboard for niche activities. So, it’s good to see the light customization capability that this keyboard comes with.
- USB-C – The Happy Hacking Professional Classic keyboard comes with a single connectivity option. This is the USB type-c connection that can be done using the included cable with the keyboard. The responsiveness of this technology is fast, which is precisely what you need in a keyboard for efficient typing and gaming.
- Smooth Keypress – With the plastic top-plate of the HHKB Pro Classic keyboard, you get a very soft bump from the keyboard when bottoming out, which makes this keyboard perfectly ergonomic and unique for long-term usage. The key switches are also lighter than you’d expect. So, that’s another plus of having this keyboard as your choice.
HHKB Type-S Pros and Cons
We’ve looked at the features and specs of the Type-S keyboard. So it only fits that we check out some of the main advantages and disadvantages of this keyboard. So let’s take a look at them.
|Dual Connectivity – One of the best features of any keyboard that I’ve ever reviewed has dual connectivity modes. If you’re not feeling like sitting straight using the keyboard bound to a wire, take the wire off and use the keyboard wirelessly with Bluetooth.||Expensive – One thing that you’re not going to love about this keyboard is that it is costly as compared to some of the similar keyboards in the market made by AAA companies.|
|Compact and Lightweight – Even with batteries inside the HHKB type-s keyboard, it only weighs around 570 grams which is very light for a keyboard that is so durable and made of such high-quality premium materials.|
|Responsiveness – When it comes to the responsiveness and time for the actuation of the keys, the HHKB Professional type-s is a swift keyboard, perfect for all kinds of efficient usage.|
Interested? Get the HHKB Type-S at amazon.com!
HHKB Standard Pros and Cons
The HHKB Professional Classic is a pretty decent keyboard. It comes with many features; however, before you put it on a pedestal, let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons it comes with. Here they are:
|Durable Construction – Even though the entire keyboard is made of plastic, the quality of plastic used is very high, and the construction of this particular keyboard is pretty great.||Expensive – Compared to other keyboards in the market, the HHKB Professional Classic is a very expensive keyboard even though most of the features are similar.|
|Ergonomic Design – The keyboard comes with a natural incline on the frame, and along with that, there are two kick feet adjustments that you can make to the keyboard height to adjust it to the perfect size for your typing and playing requirements.||Limited Customization – Another disturbing thing about this keyboard is that it comes with limited customization that can only be done using the Dip switches since this keyboard is not supported by the Keymap tool that HHKB has provided.|
|Compactness – Compared to the other 60% of keyboards, this keyboard is more compact simply because it comes with thin bezels and a unique layout.|
Interested? Get the HHKB Normal Version at amazon.com!
HHKB Type-S vs. Normal: Comparison
The Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional Type-S and Classic are both pretty great keyboards. However, there exists a significant price gap between them. So, which one is a better keyboard in comparison? To find that out, we will compare both the keyboards over a series of considerations and features. But, first, let’s take a look at them.
|Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional Type-S||Check Price|
|Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2||Check Price|
First of all, let’s talk about the prices of both the keyboards. The HHKB Professional Classic is pretty expensive in itself if compared to other industry-leading keyboards with similar specs.
But the Type-S is at least $100 more expensive than the HHKB Professional Classic keyboard. The tricky bit is that the features and specs that the type-S has to make it a better deal even at $100 more expensive than the classic keyboard, which is why its price is justified compared to the Pro Classic keyboard.
One of the most critical features of any keyboard is keymapping. You require keymapping, especially in compact keyboards, because different users might require the keyboard for other purposes, and for that, adjustments need to be made.
In this case, the HHKB Type-S takes the win because it offers the capability to remap keys using the HHKB proprietary software, while the HHKB Classic doesn’t have the support of this software.
If we’re comparing both these keyboards, we also have to compare the softness of the keypress. Due to the use of a plastic top-plate, both the keyboards offer a similar kind of keycap softness, but there is one thing that makes the type-s better than the classic.
This is the inclusion of the O-rings in the type-s keyboard because it is the silent variant. The O-rings make this keyboard’s keypress even softer in comparison to other keyboards, and that’s what makes it better than the HHKB Professional Classic keyboard.
One of the most critical factors in a keyboard is durability. If you’re spending so much money on a keyboard, it needs to be durable enough to last at least a few years before you can save up money to get a new, better keyboard for your setup.
Well, in the case of durability, you don’t need to be worried about either of these keyboards. The plastic used in the construction is high-quality and offers minimal flex, which is why these keyboards can last for more than a few years because they’re very durable.
Finally, the main point of contention is who has the better features and specs. In this case, the HHKB Professional Type-S will take the overall win because it is a newer model with better inclusions.
It doesn’t only offer the great features of the Pro Classic but also offers Bluetooth, keymapping, silent keypresses, and much more. It is expensive, but the value is excellent too. You’re going to have an incredible time using this keyboard because of how great it is. Have a go at it and see for yourself.
If we compare the Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional series keyboards: the type-S and the classic, we’re definitely going to see the type-S get the win. Although the price of either keyboard is very high, the price difference to features and value ratio is very significant. Because of this, it’s difficult to compare them both but when you do, you see the difference clearly.
Since going for the type-S would be more beneficial for the user, it is recommended to get this keyboard instead of the classic one. And if budget is a constraint, you should look for other keyboards for a smaller price that is similar in specs and features to the type-S. I hope you learned a lot from this article and that you’re going to have an excellent keyboarding experience with whichever board you choose for yourself!