When it comes to using computers, a big part of it is gaming nowadays, which includes both single-player and competitive multiplayer gaming. And one of the most important peripherals for computer gaming is a gaming mouse.
But what if you don’t have a gaming mouse? Can you not play games without one? Can a normal mouse be used for gaming? These are all the questions that may be popping up in your mind right now. Don’t worry, I’m going to answer them all.
So, we’ll be talking about normal computer mice and what they can do. We will also look at what features have to be present in a mouse to be called a gaming mouse. And finally, I will answer the question of whether you can use a normal mouse for gaming or not.
So, without wasting any time at all, let’s get started with this guide.
What Actions Can a Normal Mouse Perform?
Computer mice have been around for several decades now. However, the basic functions that a mouse performs still remain the same. Any regular office mouse that is functional has to be able to perform these actions to qualify as a computer mouse.
Let’s take a look at these actions.
- Scrolling – One of the most basic functions of a normal mouse is scrolling. With the scroll wheel in the middle of the mouse, you’re going to be able to scroll webpages, documents, and even perform in-game actions to enhance gameplay as well.
- Cursor Movement – The most important feature of a normal mouse is moving the cursor on the screen. The screen has all the graphical elements on it which can be controlled with the help of the cursor. Using the mouse, you can move around the cursor pointer on the screen and essentially use the mouse for functioning the computer.
- Opening and Dragging Items – By using the left-click button of the mouse, you can double-click any item on the desktop or folder of your computer and open it. You can also click and hold items using the left-click button to drag them around and move them from one place to another.
- Accessing Options – With the help of the right-click button on the mouse, you can access the options of any item on your computer screen. This options menu contains multiple important options like copy, paste, cut, rename, delete, and others as well.
Requirements for a Gaming Mouse
If you want to make sure you’re having the best gaming experience and you’re really reaching your maximum potential when it comes to using your gaming mouse, your mouse needs to have a few specific functions and major features that make a gaming mouse. Let’s take a look at these requirements right now.
- Extra Buttons – When it comes to gaming mice, one of the main inclusions needs to be several extra buttons on it. This allows you to place different actions within your preferred game on different buttons. You’ll be able to play better with these assigned buttons.
- DPI Adjustability – Another very important feature of gaming mice is adjustable sensitivity. Using proprietary software or even a single button on the mouse, you can change the DPI of your mouse in such a way that you can enhance your gameplay perfectly according to your requirement.
- Ergonomics – If we talk about premiere gaming mouse features, then we definitely need to discuss ergonomics. A gaming mouse that is good in terms of quality comes with a properly contoured design that allows you to place all your fingers and thumb on the mouse and feel comfortable while doing so.
- Gaming Design – Another less important but still very common aspect of a gaming mouse is its gaming-forward design. With the inclusion of multiple color accents and different shapes and styles, gaming mice have designs that are usually over the top, bright, and more colorful in comparison to others.
- RGB Lighting – RGB lighting is a very important element in gaming mice. Usually, gaming mice tend to have some kind of strip or even a design with RGB lighting included in them. If not, there is still some kind of LED light inclusion in modern gaming mice. So, that’s very important as well.
Can a Normal Mouse be Used for Gaming?
The big question to be answered is, can a normal mouse be used for gaming? Well, it depends on a bunch of factors. If you’re a budget gamer with a knack for gaming, then you can use a normal mouse for a mediocre gaming experience.
It won’t be the best experience ever because of a few elements missing from your mouse.
One of these elements is the fact that there’s no gaming design in normal mice. But that doesn’t matter too much in performance. Instead, this factor is more about the visual appeal of the mouse.
What matters the most is the fact that you won’t be able to fix the sensitivity of your mouse or the DPI settings like you’d be able to in a gaming mouse with the press of a single button. This could cost a lot if you’re playing an FPS or a competitive multiplayer game.
There also won’t be any extra buttons in your normal mouse to which you can assign multiple gaming functions to enhance your overall experience.
So, although you can use your regular mouse for gaming, you won’t be able to have the best time and perform the best with it.
If you’re thinking of using a normal mouse for your computer gaming, it is possible to do so. Your experience might not be the best in the world but you’ll still be able to play quite well.
So, don’t sacrifice your love for gaming just because you don’t have a gaming mouse or you can’t afford one yet. Play all you want, save up, and to enhance your experience, you can simply get a nice gaming mouse later.
I hope you learned a lot from this article and that you’re going to have a great experience. Have a great day ahead of you!