If you’re thinking of adding a computer mouse to your personal or professional setup, making sure that the mouse’s weight and look are perfect is very important. Especially if you’re a gamer, the computer mouse weight plays a vital role in quickness and responsiveness.
You might be wondering, how much does an average computer mouse weigh, and what should be the ideal weight? Well, if that’s the case, then you’re in the right place because that’s what I’m here to tell you.
In this article, I’m going to talk about the average weight of computer mice, mouse weights, their use, and whether lighter or heavier mice are better, so we can come to know about the ideal computer mouse weight. So, without wasting any further time, let’s get started.
Table of Contents
How Much Do Average Computer Mice Weigh?
If we’re talking about standard computer mice that don’t specifically focus on weight ergonomics, the weight of standard computer mice is usually always around 100 grams. There are slight weight differences between wired and wireless mice, though. This is due to the presence of the power cable in the wired mice. These cables add a bit of weight to the mice.
A computer mouse that comes with a power cable attached to it weighs around 110 grams on average, which is on the heavy side, while a wireless computer mouse is usually lighter.
The lighter computer mouse without a power cable can be around 95 grams lower than the average. This is due to the absence of a thick power cable. You might think this slight weight doesn’t make a difference but keep reading because you’ll see how it does.
What are Mouse Weights?
Mouse weights are small pellets or blocks of weighted material, which can be plastic or steel, placed under a mouse in a dedicated slot to make the mouse heavier than it already is.
This particular feature is added in most professional gaming mice from top-rated peripheral manufacturers because heavier mice are often more effective in gaming.
The thing about mouse weights is that they provide you a sense of control. For example, you can choose to increase the weight of your computer mouse on your own terms. This is pretty cool.
That’s why many people nowadays have started to use mouse weights in their mice to bring the weights of the mice to make usage more comfortable. You should try it out for yourself as well.
Importance of Mouse Weights
So, why exactly are mouse weights a thing? What’s the importance of mouse weights anyway? Great question. Well, there are a few reasons why mouse weights are used.
If you feel that your mouse isn’t heavy enough for your hand and you’re not comfortable using it, to increase accuracy, you can add weight to the mouse with this method. Also, if you’re a gamer and looking for pinpoint accuracy without any risk of overshooting, then placing heavier weights in the computer mouse can help you quite a lot.
How can I use mouse weights? It isn’t tough, actually, and there isn’t a specific way it is done. However, the general process remains the same for every mouse that comes with this capability. So let’s take a look.
- First of all, you’re going to have to check whether your particular computer mouse has the cartridge for extra weights under it.
- If it does, it is possible that you’re provided extra mouse weights with the box that you can use. Otherwise, you’re going to have to purchase extra weights.
- Take the cartridge out, snap the weights inside it, and put it back under the mouse.
- With the added weight, the mouse will now be heavier than it was before. Now, you can use the heavier mouse according to your choice of comfort and weight.
Should a Computer Mouse be Lighter or Heavier?
A question that I’ve been asked quite many times is, should a computer mouse be lighter or heavier than average? Well, it really depends upon the kind of usage you’re engaged in. Some activities and computer usage require lighter mice for easier use; however, for effective usage in other cases, you’re going to need a heavier mouse that restricts excessive movement.
In different cases, our perfect computer mouse weight requirements might change. For example, if you’re a gamer or a designer, using a heavier mouse would be better for you.
However, if you’re thinking of using the computer for simple scrolling and surfing the web, and doing some additional general computer work, then a light and easy-to-handle mouse would be the right choice.
To make things easier to understand for you, I’ve made a list of benefits of lighter mice as well as heavier ones, so let’s take a look at them.
|Heavy Mouse||Light Mouse|
|Better Accuracy||Lighter Design|
|Stronger Control||Easier to Use|
|Good for Gaming||Better for General Use|
|Comfortable Feel||Good for long strokes|
Heavier Mouse Benefits
- Better Accuracy – The thing about heavier weighted products is that you won’t be able to over-control them. This same principle applies to computer mice as well. So if you have a heavily weighted mouse and you’re thinking of acting with it, you won’t end up overshooting, and your accuracy will be better.
- Stronger Control – If your computer mouse is heavily weighted, you’re going to have stronger control over it. This basically means that a heavier mouse in your hand would need you to have a better grip on it and move it with more force. This would give you better overall control of the mouse.
- Good for Gaming – As I said before, heavier weighted mice are usually great for gaming. This is because heavier gaming mice allow you to make quick and small mouse movements better and with pinpoint precision, which is a major requirement of many FPS games.
- Comfortable Feel – It is often thought that computer mice that are heavily weighted aren’t comfortable. But that’s not true. Instead, there’s a kind of snug feeling your hand gets when it is holding a heavier mouse. That’s what makes the experience of using a heavy mouse more comfortable than others.
Lighter Mouse Benefits
- Lighter Design – Computer mice lighter in weight are usually designed to look very airy and light. They can be lifted and moved around without breaking a sweat. Typically lighter mice are wireless, but there are many wired mouse options that you might find lighter than others.
- Easier to Use – Lighter mice are easier to use as well. Now you must be wondering, what does easy to use mean in this situation? Well, easy to use basically means that you don’t need a lot of force to drag it or lift it when you’re using it. So, in that way, this kind of mouse is good.
- Better for General Use – If you’re looking to get a computer mouse for general computer usage, you’re better off with a lighter mouse because you don’t need pinpoint accuracy in your activities, and you’re not engaged in strenuous work or gaming, which can require sudden quick movements.
- Good for long strokes – If you’re surfing the web or you’re using your computer while performing a digital activity that requires to move the mouse over a larger distance, then using a lighter mouse would be advantageous because it is easier to move and is more portable in comparison to a mouse heavier in weight.
What’s the Ideal Weight of a Computer Mouse?
The concept of ideal weight in terms of computer mice is subjective. It depends upon your usage, as I said before. If you’re looking for a heavier mouse for better control, then the ideal weight of your computer mouse would be anywhere between 110 to 115 grams.
However, if you’re looking for a lighter mouse, then this much weight won’t be great for your mouse. Getting a smaller mouse, preferably wireless, with around 95-100 grams weight would be the right option for you. You’ll be able to control it the way you want to easily.
Ultimately, the weight only matters to the extent of comfort and stability. As long as you’re fine with the weight of your mouse, you’re going to be able to use it perfectly. The other features and specifications of your mouse matter quite a lot if you ask me. If all the other features are great, then you’re going to be good.
Computer mouse weight can make or break your overall computer usage experience or if you’re a professional, it can affect your skills and control of your digital talents even. That’s why you need to make sure that you’re using a perfectly weighted mouse according to your needs and controlling requirements. It will help you go a long way and feel comfortable while using the computer.
There are many types of computer mice available on the market. Some are heavy; others are light. They are all designed for some specific purposes. However, it also depends on your requirements and setup to decide on the type of mouse.
I hope you learned a lot from this article and that you’re going to have a great time picking the right mouse for yourself.