When you want to have the most productive experience with your computer, having useful peripherals and add-ons greatly contribute to it. A very popular and important accessory that can elevate your computing experience is the mouse pad.
But if the mouse pad is not of good quality, it might not be the best thing in your computer setup.
You might be wondering if a mouse pad can wear out and what to do to avoid such situations? Well, if that’s what you’re thinking, then you’re in the right place because that’s what I’m here to tell you.
In this article, I’m going to talk about mousepads, what to look for in them, whether a mouse pad can wear out or not, and the benefits of having a nice mouse pad in your computer setup.
So, without wasting any further time, let’s get started with this guide.
Table of Contents
Can a Mouse Pad Wear Out?
Technically, yes. A mouse pad can wear out over a long period. And if it is not very good quality, it might even wear out within the first year of use.
However, if you’ve got a good quality one, you won’t need to worry about the mouse pad wearing out anytime soon.
A good quality mouse pad tends to last at least 4-5 years if you maintain it properly. This is very important. If you don’t maintain your mouse pad and clean it around every month or so, the mouse pad may wear out despite being good in terms of quality.
The important thing is that you need to keep your mouse pad in check and not leave it forever unattended. This is what most people do and that’s why they complain about their mousepads losing their shape after a few months.
Make sure you use a bucket of warm water, soap, and a dryer to clean your mouse pad the right way every 30 days or so. This will increase the lifespan of your mouse pad and you’re going to be able to use it for a longer time without it wearing out.
What to Look For in a Good Quality Mouse Pad?
If you’re planning to get a good quality mouse pad that looks good, feels good, and works well, you’re going to have to consider a few major factors while checking them out.
Let’s take a look at some of these factors to get an idea of what to look for in a good quality mouse pad.
- Material – One of the most important factors when you’re getting a good quality mouse pad is the material. Making sure that the fabric or even plastic mouse pad that you’re getting is thick enough and soft enough, while at the same time being durable, is quite important.
- Ergonomics – Ergonomics is super important as well. If the mouse pad you’re getting is not ergonomic enough, you’re not going to have a great time using it. In fact, there’s no purpose for a mouse pad if it doesn’t provide your hand with the support it needs for a longer time of gaming or casual computer usage.
- Design – Another very major factor you need to look out for is the design of the mouse pad. The design and the color scheme that a mouse pad uses are quite important if you’re a visual aspect connoisseur. So, to make sure your computer setup is nice, you need to get a decently designed mouse pad.
- Size – Size matters, at least when it comes to mouse pads. Depending upon your requirement and what kind of usage you have for your computer, you can choose to get different sized mouse pads. A longer one can be preferred if you want to cover the table and if you want just the mouse to be placed on it, you can get a shorter one.
- Extras – Mouse pads nowadays tend to have a lot of extras and inclusions in them. From wrist pads to RGB lighting strips, and varying gaming-forward elements, there’s a lot you can look for.
Benefits of a Good Quality Mouse Pad
If you’ve got yourself a decent quality mouse pad, you’re going to have an amazing computer usage experience. There are many benefits of a good quality mouse pad. Let’s take a look at some of these benefits so we can learn the importance of having a high-quality mouse pad in your setup.
- No Sprain or Injury – If you’ve got yourself a decent quality mouse pad, you’re not going to face any kind of wrist injury or sprain that you might typically end up with if you’re not using one or using a really bad quality one.
- Can Use for Longer Time – When it comes to using a computer, you can’t really keep your hand on the mouse for too long without a good quality mouse pad. But with one, you’ll be able to use the computer for a longer period quite easily.
- Feels Soft and Nice – With the right thickness and the right kind of material, your mouse pad is going to feel really soft and nice on your wrist, palm, and your whole hand.
- Looks Great with Computer Setup – If the mouse pad comes with a nice design paired with some extras like an RGB strip or something similar, it is going to look pretty amazing with your setup especially if the color scheme and everything matches.
Steps to Keeping a Mouse Pad Well Maintained
So, you’ve got a good quality mouse pad but you want to make sure it doesn’t wear out anytime soon; Well, with proper maintenance, you’ll be able to achieve that. I’ve made a step-by-step guide that will help you elongate your mouse pad’s life and make sure that it stays well-maintained and perfect in shape.
Step 1: Place it in Water
The first order of business is going to be taking the mouse pad, brushing off any sort of crumbs off it, and then placing it in water. The water needs to be a bit warm so that any kind of stain can be washed through the mouse pad easily.
Step 2: Rub Soap on it
The next thing you’re going to do is rub soap on the mouse pad. This is an essential step simply because of the fact that this soap is going to help thoroughly clean the mouse pad so that the warm water can be used to rinse out any dirt within the threads of the mouse pad.
Step 3: Clean it Thoroughly and Rub with Towel
After you’ve cleaned the mouse pad with soap and water, you’re going to make sure there’s no sign of any stain left on the mouse pad. For that, the right thing to use is a towel to rub the mouse pad firmly.
Step 4: Dry it Up and Use it Again
The final step after cleaning the mouse pad is to dry it up. Drying the mouse pad overnight in a room temperature part of your house is going to help it get warm and leave no trace of water in it. Once that’s done, you’re going to be able to use it again.
Mousepads usually do not wear out very quickly. It is going to last a long time, especially if you have a good quality one. But you need to make sure you keep it clean and safe, otherwise, like anything, your mouse pad is going to wear out as well.
So, make sure you get a good quality mouse pad, maintain it, and use it well. I hope you learned a lot from this article and that you’re going to have a wonderful experience. May you have a great day ahead of you!